“Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live as well as think.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Below are various concepts and methods dedicated to healing and strengthening mind and character from childhood into adulthood.
Social and Emotional Learning – A growing number of educators recognize that students who receive an exclusively academic education may be ill-equipped for future challenges, both as individuals and members of society — it’s just not enough to feed only the mind. The field of social and emotional learning (SEL) has emerged from these new understandings of the nature of biology, emotions and intelligence and their relation to success and happiness. Through social and emotional learning children’s emotional intelligence (EQ) is bolstered, giving them an enormous edge in their personal and professional futures.
Quantum Physics and Energy Healing – A simplified and functional description of quantum physics reveals that everything is made of energy and all apparent and observable realities are simply created by thoughts that are “molding and holding” that energy in place. In quantum physics, all of the infinite possibilities and probabilities exist within our reach and it is the observer that creates the reality they see. Like an artist painting on canvas, we choose our colors and images and “paint” the life in front of us with our thoughts and beliefs.
Whole Child Education – A whole child approach, which ensures that each student is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged, sets the standard for comprehensive, sustainable school improvement and provides for long-term student success.
Holistic Education – a philosophy of education based on the premise that each person finds identity, meaning, and purpose in life through connections to the community, to the natural world, and to humanitarian values such as compassion and peace. Holistic education aims to call forth from people an intrinsic reverence for life and a passionate love of learning.
Subconscious Mind Programming – When you lack an understanding of how the subconscious mind works, you can easily start beating yourself up for regressing back to negativity after a day of being enlightened/clear about it – and of course this behavior of feeling bad about yourself just reinforces the old patterns of negativity. Subconscious mind is nothing but the “neural pathways” that have been established in your brain as result of your past beliefs and conditioning.
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) – The title refers to an asserted connection between the neurological processes (“neuro”), language (“linguistic”), and behavioral patterns that have been learned through experience (“programming”) that its proponents say can be used to achieve specific goals in life.
- Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) is a form of counseling intervention that draws on various theories of alternative medicine including acupuncture, neuro-linguistic programming, energy medicine, and Thought Field Therapy. During an EFT session, the client will focus on a specific issue while tapping on “end points of the body’s energy meridians.”
- Psych K – A process that helps you communicate with your subconscious mind so you can change beliefs that limit your self-esteem, relationships, job performance, and even your physical health! The overall goal of PSYCH-K is to help you free your mind from beliefs that limit your recognition of yourself as a divine being having a human experience.
Life Coaching – Life coaching is a practice that helps people identify and achieve personal goals. Life coaches assist clients by using a variety of tools and techniques. Life coaching draws inspiration from disciplines such as sociology, psychology, positive adult development and career counseling. Specialty life coaches may have degrees in psychological counseling, hypnosis, dream analysis, marketing and other areas relevant to providing guidance. However, they are not necessarily therapists or consultants; psychological intervention and business analysis may be outside the scope of some coaches’ work..
Character Education – refers to teaching children in a manner that imparts positive character qualities—such as to make them moral, civic, good, well mannered, non-bullying, healthy, critical, and successful. Concepts that now and in the past have fallen under this term include social and emotional learning, moral reasoning, cognitive development, life skills education, health education, violence prevention, critical thinking, ethical reasoning, and conflict resolution and mediation.
- Daniel Goleman guru of Emotional Intelligence speaks at Smith College (women-leading.com)
- Lady Gaga’s anti-bullying effort taps Yale expert (sfgate.com)